Monday, November 16, 2009

What not to wear

Gaah. Am speaking at lovely books and bubbles event next week and have no idea what to wear.
Would buy something but am hopeless shopper. Shopping MoJo ruined by years of abject poverty. Now always trying to buy fictional Ultimate Garment. Ultimate Garment is one suitable for Banquet, Barbecue and bush walk, has built in flattering Nancy Gantz type arrangement and no ironing needed. As Ultimate Garment does not exist, end up buying cake or delicious almond croissant Mmmm.Mmmm

When was v.v. poor would get by wearing Tshirt with dg logo, in manner of company uniform but will not suffice in this instance, as is hoity toity champagne type event.

Publicist suggests wearing "jeans and a sparkly top, what you'd wear to a party..."
Clearly no idea that last party I attended completly populated by 14 yr old boys and comprised skateboarding DVD's, delivery pizza and farting contest - not a sparkly top in sight.

Tried out shopping on saturday, went to nice Milford mall with lovely shops, greeted many times by chirpy assistants saying how are you, hows your day going, many many times.
Raked through racks but all seemed too long, too short, too shiny, to tiny, too expensive - tried on expensive one anyway - liked a lot (must have been skinny mirror.)
What should I do?
OPTIONS:
Borrow - again
Buy Sparkly top and wear with slightly too tight jeans (lay off cake in interim)
Buy whole outfit - what and how much is normal amount to spend on such outfit?
all suggestions gratefully recieved.

6 comments:

  1. I have this same dilemma every time I have to go anywhere that requires dressing up a bit. thankfully I have 4 sisters to call on when I need to borrow something!
    sorry I can't be much help. I totally relate to trying to find the "fictional ultimate garment" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would borrow if budget was an issue and if I had someone fashion worthy to call on. Otherwise I have invested in a few things in my wardrobe that I can fall back on if I need to..... but secretly, I quite like a new thing for a special event :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie, this kind of pedicament is not to be undertaken alone. My friend Gail is right, you do need a few basic wonder-pieces that you can fall back on at a moment's notice and not need to starve yourself in the process. What you need is an onto-it friend to go shopping with, to hold your coffee, to squint at you in the changing rooms and shake their heads in honest diapproval, to haul an armful out of the racks when your head is spinning. It probably isn't 'done' but if you could ever get your head around a long time fan doing that with you, leave me a comment. I'd be there is a heartbeat and live just down the road! Or better yet, get your publicist to recommend a stylist or a personal shopper (I realise that must sound a little Paris Hilton and not so much kiwi working mum!). Also, sparkly tops when you are speaking in public can tend to draw the eye of the observer to the mesmorising movement of the glitter and not the wit your words carry. Which would be a pity, I have heard and watched you and think you have enough personality sparkle without sequins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all v kind and suggestions most helpful. Borrowing is looking like best option at moment but will let you know details when decided. I'll take a pic too and you can tell me if I did OK. My faithful assistant is on the case and she is stylie chick so things looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally relate. I think there is a bit of "shell-shock" when you go into the shops....it is when you realise fashion has moved on without you! I would advise going on a couple of scouting trips. What this means is that you go out and just get used to the fashion. Then get brave and actually start trying things on, even things that you don't think will suit you. Zero in on the colours that work for you (you know the tops that you always get compliments on, and you feel good wearing). I totally sympathise with you, and wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete